National Museum in Gdańsk
- One of the oldest museums in Poland
- Includes paintings, drawings and prints by European masters from the end of the fifteenth to the beginning of the nineteenth century.
The National Museum in Gdańsk, one of the oldest museums in Poland, was established by the merger of the Gdańsk City Museum (est. 1870) and the Handicraft Museum (est. 1881). Its core is the collection of Jacob Kabrun (1759–1814), comprising several thousand paintings, drawings and prints by European masters from the end of the fifteenth to the beginning of the nineteenth century.
The Museum is spread across a number of sites: the main building, a late Gothic post-Franciscan monastery, houses the Department of Historical Art; the Abbots’ Palace in Gdańsk-Oliwa houses the Department of Modern Art; the Department of Ethnography is located in the Abbot’s Granary; the Green Gate in the Long Market is where temporary exhibitions are held; the National Anthem Museum is housed in a manor in Będomin which once belonged to the anthem’s author Józef Wybicki, while the Polish Gentry Museum is in a historic manor in Waplewo Wielkie. The rich collection of the Gdańsk Photography Gallery is part of the Department of Modern Art, although it has its own seat in Gdańsk’s Main Town.
Art historian Jacek Friedrich has been the Director of the National Muzeum in Gdańsk since 2020. He has lectured
and published mostly on the history of art and architecture in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. He has curated several exhibitions in that field as well.